Thursday, April 27, 2006


Right brain, left brain split misfit

I study drama. I also do law subjects. Subsequently, when my drama peers ask me what my elective area is, I take a breath before telling them. No matter what they say, the sub-text of their words speak volumes - Freak. They can't imagine what I'd find so fascinating about something as apparently dry as statutory interpretation and Commonwealth legislation

Funnily enough, I get the same reception when I'm speaking to some of my peers in my law subjects. Freak! By the look in their eye, I might as well be wearing cheesecloth and singing Mama Cass songs as I sit around a campfire with my other supposed artistic oddball friends.

The thing is, I love performing. I also love academia, although I don't consider myself very dramatic or very academic! However, I do feel fortunate to be able to reside in both worlds, and yet not be forced to choose. I love listening to a lecture on jurisprudence before running off to a two physical theatre workshop. I like the mental stimulation of law, and the creative side of performance. They balance each other out, and sharpen my appreciation for both.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home