Wednesday, May 03, 2006

The techno dinosaur gives choreography a try...

For our physical theatre class today, we were asked to perform a self-choreographed 3 minute movement piece.

Being completely pov, and somewhat of a techno dinosaur, I do not own an iPod. In fact, I don't even own a stereo that can play CDs. The only CD playing facility that I own is a discman that I inherited from my brother several years ago. This virtually antiquated device cannot play unless it is in the upright position. It has no external speakers, so you have to use a headset.

Imagine how difficult it is to compose a movement piece to a piece of music you're listening to from your discman, all the while trying to hold the said device in the palm of your hand.

In class, I watched graceful classmates from dance backgrounds just make up their movement pieces on the spot. Hmmm... the movement genre I've most consistently trained in is stage combat. I mean, I'm capable of heavy falls without hurting myself and some cool-looking, kick arse wrestling manoeuvres... but somehow I don't think I could have incorporated that into my routine. Shame.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home