Wednesday, August 30, 2006

I move on...

I lost my wallet today.

I say "lost", although in all likelihood, it was stolen. Long story. Don't ask.

I realise what a strange thing identity is. If you were to lose all identifying documentation, such as a birth certificate, driver's licence, passport, etc., well; how could you legally identify yourself? Especially when so many institutions, such as a real estate agency, bank and so forth, rely on a "points system".

I've cancelled my bankcards. I'm getting a new student ID and learner's permit.

While I was on the phone to the bank, I suddenly thought, !do I want to stay with this bank?! !do I really need three separate accounts?! !and it's a good thing I'm getting a new learner's permit! !i think it had an old address on it! ...

I am not the contents of my wallet.

Making the arrangements is the strangest feeling. Yet strangely liberating.

4 Comments:

Blogger Noof said...

"I am not the contents of my wallet" - so true. Good on you for feeling liberated - I'd be feeling panicked. That's something to remember - I am not the contents of my wallet, or the number of messages in my mobile phone ;-)

12:16 AM  
Blogger Redhillducks said...

Oh, I did feel panicked initially. But after I cancelled all my cards, I felt this sense of relief. I don't mind too much now. There was nothing in my wallet that couldn't be replaced. Thanks for your food for thought, Noof.

3:33 AM  
Blogger Mathieu said...

Sometimes I wish that would happen to me.

6:01 PM  
Blogger Redhillducks said...

Do you even own a wallet, Mathieu? Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever seen you with one!

2:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home